Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

ATHLETICS: Sergey Bubka predicts men's pole vault can climb to 6.30, 6.40 mt; Renaud Lavillenie of France sets new heights with 6.16 mts


 
Renaud Lavillenie of France sets new heights (Photo by Getty Images)
 
By Gianni Merlo, AIPS President, La Gazzetta dello Sport
DONETSK, February 15, 2014 - "I am happy, very happy for Renaud. It has been fantastic,” Sergey Bubka shouts to us over the phone from Donetsk, after the 6.16 meter jump achieved by Renaud Lavillenie during the Pole Vault Stars event organized by the Ukranian champion and IAAF vice president. In the same stage, 21 years ago, Sergey Bubka jumped 6.15.
Are you not even a little bit sorry?
"Why would I be? I am happy for him, very happy indeed and I have also told him that he has to continue. It's only the indoor world record. He can keep on climbing. This can be just a step for him.” 
You claim to be happy above all, as the instigator of such a success, considering that you were the one to found the Pole Vault Stars, but as the man that Lavillenie has leapfrogged, does it suit you? Excuse us if we dare to ask this. 
"As organizer I have fulfilled one of my life dreams. I established the World Championship here 21 years ago, and it still seems incredible to me that this has indeed happened here, in my house. It’s almost as though I jumped with him. But I must tell you that Renaud has improved a lot this year. He is confident, aware of his strength, and therefore doesn't have any problems. His mind is clear. He succeeds in making every gesture seem simple.”
What are the technically differences between you two as athletes?
"It is impossible to make some comparisons, because the times are very different. Now Renaud is the model. I am a beautiful painting of the past, that always has great value, but now it is the present and future that count. This is why I love the sport so much.”
Which are the limits of ‘the flying man’?
"As I have said before, he can soon climb up to 6.30-6.40. No, it is not a dream. He simply needs to conform to the idea mentally. You can never put limits on yourself. This has always been my philosophy as an athlete and it has worked."
Could Lavillenie be the one to climb so high?
"He has the qualities to go even further than that. There are not doubts to this at all. He should now be mentally unlocked and it will be a pleasure to follow him."
Has Renaud killed the competition for a few years with this jump, just like you did, burning generations of adversaries?
"It is very hard to say. Maybe this performance will be a stimulus for the others. It would be beautiful for athletics if Renuad was the Peter Pan able to inspire the others to climb en masse over the 6 meters that are now no longer a taboo."

No comments: