Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2016

BREAKING NEWS: Maria Sharapova admits failing drugs test at Australian Open


Sharapova admits failing drugs test at Australian Open Maria Sharapova admits failing drugs test at Australian Open.

Former world number one Maria Sharapova has revealed she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open.
The Russian, 28, tested positive for meldonium, a substance she has been taking since 2006 for health issues.
Sharapova, a five-time Grand Slam champion, said she was not yet aware of the sanctions she will face.
"I failed the test and take full responsibility for that," said Sharapova, who won Wimbledon as a 17-year-old in 2004.
"I had been taking this medicine for the past 10 years, but on 1 January this became a prohibited substance which I did not know."
She added: "I received an email on 22 December from Wada [World Anti-Doping Agency] about the changes happening to the banned list and you can see prohibited items, and I didn't click on that link."
Maria Sharapova wins Wimbledon in 2004
Sharapova is ranked seventh in the world but has played just four tournaments since Wimbledon last July as she has struggled with an arm injury.
Her most recent match was a defeat by Serena Williams at the Australian Open in January, but Sharapova, who turns 29 in April, hopes to be able to return to tennis in the future.
"I made a huge mistake," she said.
"I know I face consequences and I didn't want to end my career this way. I hope I will be given the chance to play this game again."
More to follow.





Sharapova admits failing drugs test at Australian Open
By Eurosport
Last updateJust now
Publishedon 07/03/2016 at 20:17

Watch this event live

Last updateJust now
Publishedon 07/03/2016 at 20:17
Article by Eurosport

Watch this event live

Maria Sharapova has revealed she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open in January - and fears for her future in the sport.

Eurosport Player : Watch this event live

"I don't want my career to end this way," the Russian five-times Grand Slam winner said in addressing a press conference in Los Angeles.
"What I put in my body is my responsibility.
"This is new to me. I don't know what the consequences will be.
"I will be working with the ITF (International Tennis Federation)."

No comments: