Brazil captain Thiago Silva insisted the FIFA World Cup™ hosts were mentally tough enough to cope with the pressure on Thursday after criticism of the squad's tears during the last 16 win over Chile.
"I think we are good psychologically. We are doing what we love to do," the Paris Saint-Germain defender said on Thursday. "There was a lot of pressure to win that match so we know we had to give all we had, but when you do things with a lot of will and desire there is no way to not be emotional."
The squad held a session with the team's sports psychologist earlier in the week to prepare for their clash with Colombia in the last eight on Friday in Fortaleza. And Silva dismissed criticism of his leadership from outside the camp given the support shown to him by Brazil coach Luis Felipe Scolari.
"When those things are said we have to look away," Silva said. "The leader is beside me, he is the commander and backs me so I don't care what people from the outside say.
"I just need to think about my job. This is the way I am, I am very emotional and this a very natural thing. This doesn't affect me at any time on the pitch.
"I don't think the emotion makes anything more difficult. I have overcome difficult moments. I had tuberculosis and had my life at risk, but I am a champion on and off the pitch and I show maturity and respect."

Related Items