Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

CANADA 2014 U-20 WOMEN WORLD CUP: Flexibility key for Korea Republic


Flexibility key for Korea Republic

Though Korea Republic have not yet become a dominant force in senior women's football, they are no longer regarded as outsiders at youth level after winning the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup and finishing third at the U-20 finals in 2010.
While those memorable campaigns in Trinidad and Tobago and Germany were largely driven by the individual brilliance of Yeo Minji and Ji Soyun, the reigning continental champions’ current crop are a better-organised unit under coach Jong Songchon.
Having led the U-20 Taeguk Ladies to the quarter-finals at Japan 2012, Jong knows what it takes to compete at a higher level. "We've already qualified for the finals by winning the Asian title last year but we would need a different approach for the tournament proper," he told FIFA.com in an interview between intensive training sessions in the south-western city of Mokpo.
"I cannot tell you the detail at the moment, of course, but I can tell you this: our opponents will find it very difficult to figure out what kind of team we are, because we don't stick to a certain plan but change depending on who we play against."
In fact, that flexibility was among the most important factors Jong considered before naming his squad for Canada 2014 last week. "I can only bring 21 players with me, so I had to make sure most of the players could operate in at least two positions. Each and every one of my players has her own strengths and colours, which makes it difficult for me to select the best XI," Jong added.
"That said, we've got eight players who have already taken part in the world finals two years ago. Besides, the current squad is pretty much the same as the one that won the continental championship last year. I have so many talented players at my disposal and my job is to assemble the best combination, so they can prove their potential."
One member of the class of Japan 2012, captain Jang Selgi, was outstanding during the qualifying campaign, with the livewire forward scoring eight times to win the Golden Boot trophy as well as the MVP award. Not a bad result for a player who had made her World Cup debut as a defender at Trinidad and Tobago 2010.
Smooth transformer
"I used to be a striker for my school team but happened to play as a right-back during the U-17 World Cup and then a left-back at the finals in Japan two years ago. I was very young and it was difficult for me to accept the change at first," she recalled.
"But then I realised that I was playing football anyway and I was also lucky to experience the transition. Every role comes with different responsibilities, but when I returned to my original position I felt comfortable."
Selgi, whose name translates as 'wisdom', is wise enough to understand her coach's faith in maximising the speed of the game. "He always tells us to play intelligently - we have to think quickly, move quickly and pass quickly - so we can be ready for any situations," she explained.
"So even if we're up against stronger opposition

No comments: