Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

TORONTO F 2014 REVOLUTION with Jermaine Defoe, Michael Bradley, Gilberto and Dwayne DeRosario, could they win the MLS title?


Defoe, Bradley

           Toronto FC recruits Jermain Defoe, left, and Michael Bradley were presented to the media on Monday in Toronto

Jermain Defoe concerned Toronto move may hit World Cup hopes

• 'It's important to keep playing and MLS will be fantastic for me'
• Tottenham striker will join Toronto on 28 February
  • The Guardian,
Defoe, Bradley
Toronto FC recruits Jermain Defoe, left, and Michael Bradley were presented to the media on Monday in Toronto. Photograph: Frank Gunn/AP
Jermain Defoe admitted he is concerned that his move to the Major League Soccer side Toronto FC could damage his hopes of a place in England's World Cup squad but he felt he could not turn down the chance to showcase his talents to a new audience.
"I have to be honest, I did think about the chances of going to the World Cup," said the striker, who will join Toronto from Tottenham on 28 February. "It is always important to play well for your club.
"Having played in a World Cup before it is just the greatest thing in the world, it is a dream come true, that is why you play football, to play in a major tournament and at that level.
"Yeah, it did cross my mind but at the same time I believe the MLS is going to be fantastic for me and it is important to be playing.
"To get into any World Cup or European Championship squad for your country, it is based on merit, which means you have to play well, be fit and ready.
"The most important thing for me is playing football, scoring my goals and doing well for the team. Hopefully I can be on the plane.
"I have played in the Premier League all of my career, scored a lot of goals and, at the age of 31, I would like to think the England manager and everyone in England knows what I can do, can bring for the country, and if selected, I will be ready."
Toronto have also brought in the United States international Michael Bradley as the manager Ryan Nelson – the New Zealand defender who played at Spurs for a spell in 2012 after leaving Blackburn – looks to build a squad capable of challenging for the MLS title.
"In life when a massive opportunity comes your way, sometimes it is not always easy, leaving your home town and the club you have been with for nine years – to come here and have a reception like that is such a great feeling. I feel at home already," Defoe told a news conference in Toronto.
"I come here and know I will give something, not for the wrong reasons, but to do my best for the club to win trophies.
"It is important for me that I still feel sharp and strong.
Defoe continued: "I can't wait to get started and to showcase my skills in a different league. For me it is a dream come true because it is always something I wanted to do [play in the MLS], even before I was aware of the interest [from Toronto]."
Jermain Defoe feels it's the right time to leave Tottenham as he prepares to be presented as Toronto FC's new designated player this week.
Defoe admits it will be a wrench to leave Tottenham after such a long time at the club but is looking forward to a new challenge.
"I was there nine years so you can imagine what it's like. I think everyone knows how I feel about Tottenham," he told Sky Sports News.
"I have had a special relationship with the fans over the years but it's football and players move on.
"At the age of 31 it is a great opportunity for me and my family."
Defoe has suffered a series of personal traumas in recent years and he revealed they, along with the financial security the move to Toronto would bring, helped persuade him to make the move.
"I've been through some things with my family over the last few years and sometimes it is nice to have a change," he added.
"I only had a year left on my contract at Tottenham. If you have a year left and someone comes in and offers you four, you have to think about it and consider your options. It's as simple as that."
As for the World Cup, he added: "Hopefully the manager knows what I can do. I am 31 and I have played in the Premiership my whole career.
"There's not much more I need to prove but it's down to the manager, he picks the squad.
"If I get picked to play for my country, I will be ready."



Reddit
Email

Toronto FC is proud to announce the signings of Michael Bradley & Jermain Defoe.







No comments: