Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

ROGERS CUP 2015 IN TORONTO: Belinda Bencic, a giant killer: 7-5, 7-5 win over former world No. 1 Caroline Wosniacki and 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 over crowd favourite Eugenie Bouchard




ugenie Bouchard, of Canada, returns to Belinda Bencic, of Switzerland, during tennis action at Rogers Cup in Toronto on Tuesday, August 11, 2015.


By JUAN CARLOS CORDERO, Editor-in-Chief, UNO International News Service. Photos by Bianca Carolina Cordero-Ramirez

First, Swiss prodigy Belinda Bencic eliminated Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard from Rogers Cup with first-round loss in three sets 6-0, 5-7, 6-2. Then, crowd favourite and former World No. 1 Danish Caroline Wosniacki succumbed to the intelligent game of country-mate of Martina Hingis (in her side) and Roger Federer, 7-5, 7-5. using a full sets of techniques an tactics: approaching the ball early, attacking the ball smartly without exercising so much power, but sending where the great Caroline could not reach it.

She is only 18-year old and she has been ITF Junior World Champion winning already the Grand Slam in Roland Garros, Wimbledon winning 39 matches in a row, and also reaching US Open quarterfinals. Started in the WTA rankings as far as 1059 in 2013, last year was No. 33and currently sit in #20, probably advancing into the Top players very soon..

Though everyone sees a similarity between her and Martina Hingis (her mother is her coach, Martina hangs around her), Belinda Bencic is very reluctant to fit her predecessor shoes, but she knows is getting into the Top Players Club: "Yeah. I mean of course  a lot of people say that my style is very similar to Martina Hingis, but she was very young and so good when she got to No. 1. In my case, I need to improve my game overall. It's impossible to achieve  what she has achieved so early. And I really am trying to be my own as a player. Of course, our games are similar, it's obvious, her mother is my coach and I am practicsing with her. I didn't have a problem transitioning from Juniors  to pro. When a junior comes to the professional tour, usually there is not a lot of experience, no technical or tactical know-how, we just plays as we feel it. So I really need to get that experience.

For now, two great wins for me in Toronto, against two great players. It is already a great tournament for me here, but I hope it can be even better, Martina has helped me a lot. Everything of what she says it makes sense. She understands the game very well, and she can help me a lot with my tactical part and with the mental part, how I have to be prepared for the games, and just talk about the opponent every time before the match".

Canadian Eugenie Bouchard lost her opening match at the Rogers Cup for the second straight year, though she called this defeat a “step in the right direction.”
Bouchard lost to Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 Tuesday night on centre court at Aviva Centre. Nevertheless, she was pleased with her performance battling back from an early deficit.
The 21-year-old from Westmount, Que., has now lost her first match in eight of her past 10 WTA tournaments. Bouchard has also dropped 13 of her past 15 matches overall.




“It’s easy to let yourself get negative when you lose a couple of matches in a row or you know your body’s not feeling great,” Bouchard said. “It’s definitely been a tough road. And I feel like I’m at least not going downwards anymore. I’m trying to go on the right path.
“I feel like I can be close to performing well on the court, and it’s just been a long, patient kind of battle, and I feel like I’m close to turning it around.”
READ MORE: Eugenie Bouchard ditches coach
As the partisan crowd cheered Bouchard’s every move, it looked like she had nothing in the tank when she was blanked in the first set. She fought off match point in the second set and roared back to win it.
“I was able to raise my game, and I think it was pretty competitive out there after that first set,” Bouchard said. “I was fighting on every single point up until the end, and at the end of the day that’s all I can ask for.”
Bencic moves on to face fourth-seeded Caroline Wozniacki in the second round. The 20th-ranked player in the world praised Bouchard for how she responded in the second set.
“It was a really big fight,” Bencic said. “It’s not like I really choked or something. She really played well that moment.”
Bouchard’s struggles began a year ago when the Rogers Cup was in Montreal and she lost to qualifier Shelby Rogers when ranked fifth. While that was a stunning defeat on the heels of her finals appearance at Wimbledon, this loss followed a year-long trend.
“I think the losses are completely different,” Bouchard said. “I was in a completely different situation last year compared to this year. I feel like I handled myself really well tonight, and you know, better than I did last year coming into that Montreal tournament. So I’m proud of that.”
Amid her struggles, Bouchard has fired two coaches – Nick Saviano in November and Sam Sumyk last week. Bouchard said she was working with Marko Dragic on a short-term basis for the Rogers Cup.
Bouchard on Tuesday night said there were “big problems” between her and Sumyk, who split after she was eliminated from Wimbledon.
“It definitely wasn’t working,” Bouchard said. “I just felt like I had to make a change. I think that was necessary for me.”
She said Dragic will continue coaching her for the time being but added that wasn’t a permanent arrangement.
On the same night Milos Raonic lost to Ivo Karlovic on the men’s side in Montreal, Bouchard’s exit meant there are no Canadians left in women’s singles play.
Francoise Abanda of Montreal lost to 16th-seeded Andrea Petkovic of Germany 3-6, 6-4-6-2, and Carol Zhao of Richmond Hill, Ont., lost 6-1, 6-1 to American Madison Brengle.
Earlier Tuesday, world No. 1 Serena Williams survived an early scare to beat Italy’s Flavia Pennetta 2-6, 6-3, 6-0. Williams was frustrated with how she was playing and then got too angry to focus.
“I said, ‘Serena, you’re going to have to be positive and be good to yourself out here,”‘ Williams said. “Once I started being more positive, I started actually playing better, too.”
Williams is the only player back for this Rogers Cup who played in 2001, when she won the tournament for the first time. Asked how that made her feel, Williams said: “Like a nice vintage wine. A good vintage red wine, I’d say, getting better with age, I hope.”

August 11, 2015



Belinda Bencic


TORONTO, ONTARIO

B. BENCIC/E. Bouchard
6-0, 5-7, 6-2

Q. Great match out there. Just wanted to find out what you took away from the match today?

 BELINDA BENCIC: What's my feeling?

Q. Yeah. Your feeling about the match.

 BELINDA BENCIC: Yeah. I mean obviously it was a very big fight on the court. I tried to fight as much as I can, and the first set I think it was very difficult for both, and we were both obviously very nervous. It's the first match on the big court, and I was happy I played my game there, and I was confident.
And after 0‑3 she stepped it up a little bit, and yeah, my dad came on the court now, so he coached me well. I had 5‑3, and it's not like I really choked or something. She really played well that moment, and it can happen sometimes in tennis that you lose a set after a lead, but I'm happy that I could really pick myself up in the third and fight till the end. So I'm happy about that, but I for sure need to improve my game.

Q. And Genie is obviously the favorite. She's Canadian. Just wanted to find out your thoughts on her game today, you know, the crowd supporting her today.

 BELINDA BENCIC: Yeah, obviously the crowd was on her side, but anyway, I enjoyed the atmosphere, to play on such a big court was also fun for me. And I mean I really like it here really. I'm first time in Toronto.

 Obviously it was very a lot of pressure on her right now, home crowd and everything. It's normal, and I think she fought really good, and I wish her definitely all the best for the next tournaments, and she's a great player. So yeah.

Q. What did you do after Wimbledon? How long was the break? How long did you leave the racquet in the bag, and when did you start hitting again?

 BELINDA BENCIC: Yeah. I had 10 days off, so it was very nice time. I was also a little bit injured in Wimbledon, my knee, and the grass court was very tiring. I played a lot of matches. So I was happy I could get the rest, and I was a little bit at home with my friends and then I went with my mom and my grandparents on vacation some days.

 And yeah, but you know, like the ninth and the tenth day like I really didn't know what to do, so I was happy going back to the court. And after I started practicing two weeks at home with my coach, Melanie Molitor, and yeah, then I came here.

Q. When you have those extended breaks with Melanie, when you can train day after day after day, do you talk about what the goals are for the rest of the year? I mean you're in the Top 20 now. Congratulations.

 BELINDA BENCIC: Thank you.

Q. When you look forward, do you have something specific you want to do the rest of the season?

 BELINDA BENCIC: We don't talk about the rest of the season. We talk as always like next match, what I have to improve overall in my game, like not just this year, but all the time I play. So we really talked about that, and I think she was very happy after my grass season, and I tried to do a lot of things what she said to me. And it's very good because I trust her and Martina really 100 percent. So I think it's a good situation I have.

Q. Belinda, you work with Melanie; you work with your dad. You work with Martina. Maybe what aspects are each of them best at and how does that fit into making you the player you are?

BELINDA BENCIC: Yeah, obviously my dad started playing tennis with me. So I think he's the person who knows me the best and also knows like my feelings inside, and it's very good situation that I have him always around. So thank you. I'm very happy. It's like a speech here. Yeah. And then obviously there's Melanie, so she teach me all the technique and all the basics of my game. So that's also a big and important part. So always after the tournaments I go there to come back to the basics of my technique and everything, and then I have Martina on the tournaments to do the tactical part. She knows all the players and helps me really in the moment, in the situation, so it's like a great combo, I think.

Q. Belinda, maybe I'm not asking this at the right time in front of him, but I was wondering as you get older, what are some of the things that you're doing more for yourself, changes that you're making just in the way that you go about playing tournaments and training?

BELINDA BENCIC: Uh‑‑

Q. Just taking sort of more responsibility of things that you do for yourself.

 BELINDA BENCIC: Yeah, I mean obviously I'm 18 now. So I'm like‑‑ yeah, of course, you have a lot of responsibilities obviously on court. And I really learned through all the tournaments to be‑‑ to‑‑ how you say, like a lot in life, you know, how to travel, how to go in hotels. Really I'm like overall, so tennis is a really good life, like life school. And I'm very thankful that I got the situation that I have a great chance in life to make something big, and I really wouldn't want to do something else right now. So I'm pretty thankful.

Q. When you're sort of‑‑ when you're around your friends, what are the differences you notice between them and you just because you're traveling full time, you have a career, they're probably still in school?

 BELINDA BENCIC: I mean there is no big differences. Off the court I am also a normal teenage girl. I do the things other teenagers also do, but it's just not my priority. And I think everyone has to decide in something‑‑ I mean in life or something, so just in their world, in the city where I live, they have their job and like school and whatever. But I think it's normal. I mean we talk about just the normal things. So it's not a big deal. I don't feel like a different person than them.

Q. And Belinda, what's the biggest challenge with playing Wozniacki?

 BELINDA BENCIC: Obviously she brings really a lot of balls back, and she doesn't miss a lot. She makes you earn every point, so you don't get any free points. So that's the most difficult part with her. But the other part is she's like also mean, like power player. She doesn't kill every single ball. So it also makes it‑‑ it's like a good adaption for my game, and yeah, I know how to play against her. I have played her in Indian Wells. That was a good match. And Leesburg as well. And I'm ready for tomorrow, I hope.

Q. You're 18 years old; right? And you're around greatness, of course, Martina. You said that you didn't want to sort of look too far ahead, but like basically if you're at this level, obviously you have to; right? Just wanted to find out what is your ultimate goals in the sport of tennis.

 BELINDA BENCIC: Obviously my dream, I mean as a kid when you start to play tennis, your dream is always being the best in the world or winning Grand Slams. But I really don't look that far because it just gives‑‑ it makes no sense. I mean it gives you extra pressure, and you really just have to focus on the next point. If you think too far, it's not too good, I mean at least for me, so I'm trying not to do it. But of course, I have a dream.

August 11, 2015

Eugenie Bouchard


TORONTO, ONTARIO

B. BENCIC/E. Bouchard
6‑0, 5‑7, 6‑2

Q. Can you start by giving us an assessment of the match tonight and in particular how you felt towards your own performance out there?

EUGENIE BOUCHARD: Yeah. I feel like I started out a little bit rusty in a sense. Haven't had a lot of Match Play recently, but I was able to raise my game, and I think it was pretty competitive out there after that first set.
So I'm pleased with my performance.

Q. Does it feel then in some ways like a step forward despite‑‑

EUGENIE BOUCHARD: It's for sure a step in the right direction.

Q. Any lingering feelings from that abdominal injury or would you say that you felt physically fit 100 percent out there?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: I played the whole match pain free, so that's also‑‑ that was one of the goals and the most important one maybe. So I'm really happy about that as well.

Q. Were you a little worried about how the body would respond in your first match since Wimbledon?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: I wasn't worried. I have done a lot of training in recent weeks and it's something I didn't want to think about while I was on the court. But I'm happy with the way my body responded. You know, I felt okay out there physically, and I just feel like I need more matches to get into it.

Q. Obviously it was like a fun weekend for you. I think I saw you did a bit of air hockey and you got involved. Just want to get your overall vibe about being here in Toronto.
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: It's special to be in Toronto. It's unfortunate I only play here once every two years, but you know, I always get a warm welcome, and I've been able to interact with fans. The Toronto Genie Army. All my sponsors who are here, and you know, just the fans around the tournament, and it's always been really nice.

Q. And of course, upcoming US Open. Just wanted to find out what's next for Genie.
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: Next for me is Cincinnati. Using these next couple weeks as preparation ultimately for the US Open, but I'm going to go into each week with some goals to just try to perform well and play good tennis and kind of build on at least this match today and try to keep building with hopefully lots of matches in the next couple of weeks.

Q. Just wondering how you would compare your loss last year in Montreal to the match tonight?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: I think the losses are completely different. I was in a completely different situation last year compared to this year. So you know, I feel like I handled myself really well tonight, and you know, better than I did last year coming into that Montreal tournament. So I'm proud of that. And you know, I was fighting on every single point up until the end, and at the end of the day that's all I can ask for.

Q. Like from the first set tonight to the second set it was like two different people out there. What did you feel‑‑ how did the second set feel compared to the first set? What was different?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: During the first set I‑‑ I stayed pretty calm, which I think helped me to kind of regroup in the second. I didn't freak out, even though I lost 6‑0, and I just thought to myself that I was shaking off the rust a little bit, and I really didn't panic. And I think that was the key to at least give myself a chance to raise my game. And you know, I just kept focusing on simple things, you know, tactical things, and it started working and I started feeling a little more like myself.

Q. As you look forward and having now put the last six months behind you, how do you look at the rest of this year? I mean goal wise or anything? What are your expectations for the rest of the season?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: I'm looking forward to the rest of the year as a chance to end the year on a better note than I started. I feel like, you know, I have some tournaments left. To me it still seems like there's a lot left, but it'll probably go quicker than I expect. But I just want to get on the court. I'm so eager to play tournaments, play matches and feel good. My goals are to be healthy, to perform well during the matches, and that's really it. You know, I don't have any expectations besides that.

Q. What kind of mental adjustment have you had to make kind of as the defeats and the injuries have kind of piled up and can you talk about how you've kind of talked yourself through it?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: I've had to remain positive for sure. It's easy to let yourself get negative when you lose a couple of matches in a row or you know your body's not feeling great. So it's definitely been a tough road. And I feel like I'm, you know, at least not going downwards anymore. I'm trying to go on the right path. I feel like I can be close to performing well on the court, and it's just been a long, patient kind of battle, and I feel like I'm close to turning it around.

Q. Has anyone told you anything or said anything which you've been able to use in a positive way?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: I've had the support of my inner team, the close people around me. Everyone, you know, believes in me so much, and you know, remind me that, you know, I do have the skill, the talent, the‑‑ you know, everything I need, and it's just about, you know, putting in the hard work, putting it all together and it'll eventually come.

Q. And can you just talk a little bit about what happened with Sam and why you felt it may be wasn't working as well anymore?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: It definitely wasn't working. There were some big problems, and I just felt like I, you know, had to make a change. I think that was necessary for me.

Q. The fellow that you were working with here this week in Toronto, Marco, is he going to be accompanying you for the rest of the hard court swing?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: It's definitely not permanent right now. I haven't made that decision yet. But for the time being he is going to be with me, yes.

Q. And how did that sort of new or temporary coaching relationship come about?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: He's a coach I've worked with in the past, and so he's known me for at least three years or so. So you know, just happened to fall together after Wimbledon, and you know, I'm grateful that he's been able to help me right away when I needed it.

Q. So just to clarify, was it just after Wimbledon, then, that you and Sam parted ways?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD: That's correct, yeah.


ASAP Sports

Eugenie Bouchard ditches coach

Canada's Eugenie Bouchard walks off the court after losing her Fed Cup tennis match to Romania's Andreea Mitu in Montreal, Sunday, April 19, 2015.
Canada's Eugenie Bouchard walks off the court after losing her Fed Cup tennis match to Romania's Andreea Mitu in Montreal, Sunday, April 19, 2015.
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

TORONTO – Canadian Eugenie Bouchard has parted ways with coach Sam Sumyk, her agency confirmed.
The move comes six months after the Westmount, Que., native hired Sumyk after she had fired long-time coach Nick Saviano in November 2014.
Bouchard has struggled this season and has seen her world ranking slip from No. 7 to No. 26.
Mary Jane Orman of IMG, which represents Bouchard, confirmed the news in an email to The Canadian Press.
An abdominal injury forced the 21-year-old to withdraw from the Citi Open last Friday for a second straight year.
Bouchard is set to compete in the Rogers Cup in Toronto. She plays her first match Tuesday.
A trip to the Wimbledon final last year and semifinal berths at her first three 2014 Grand Slam events put Bouchard solidly on the tennis map, but she hasn’t been able to live up to those expectations, losing 12 of her last 14 matches over WTA Tour and Fed Cup play.




http://www.rogerscup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/OP-14.pdf



August 11, 2015



Victoria Azarenka


TORONTO, ONTARIO

V. AZARENKA/E. Svitolina
6‑1, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR: Thanks, everyone. First question, please, for Vika.

Q. How did you feel you played in your match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it was a good match overall, especially after not playing for a month. So I didn't know really what to expect. I've been feeling really good during practice, but when you step out on the court for official match, it could be tricky. But I think I handled myself really well. You know, the second set was a little bit tighter, but I stepped up when I needed to and really raised my level. So I'm glad I've been able to do that.

Q. Has this year been more tiring for you just given that you have higher seeds, because you have to play a lot more in the tournaments and you have tougher matches earlier on? Has the year been more tiring than previous years when you had a higher seed?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, definitely more challenging, because the first round, second rounds. But that's something that I don't try to look as a disadvantage. Looking from where I'm coming from almost not playing a year of course the ranking will drop. So I have to slowly and steady be coming my way up and I've been playing really good. I just lost a few times to a No. 1 player, and I think a Top 10 player. So the level is there. It's just a matter of really going and getting the rankings up, and that's it. But I'm not too worried about that. The important thing is for me to keep improving my game and getting those wins, even if it's second round or third round against a top player. So that's the most important for me.

Q. What's the weirdest thing like when you spend a specific training block, just training and practicing and then stepping on to the match court you were saying it can be a little bit, it takes some time to get the rhythm, but is it physical, is it mental, is it tactical? What is the biggest difference between your practice court game and what happens in the match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it depends on really how you feel. I think sometimes it can be more difficult mentally just because you don't have that much confidence in yourself. And sometimes it can be physical if you had done some adjustments in your game or in your physical condition.
So for me probably the most challenging is to getting after gym, you know, going and getting that‑‑ I would say less clumsiness on the court. Sometimes I get a little clumsy, but rather than that mentally I've been preparing myself in practice like I was playing a match. So it was pretty easy transition mentally today. But physically definitely, you know, you can't reproduce the nerves and the emotions that you have during the match, so it's always going to be that unknown part. But physically, I think it's‑‑ for me been a little bit challenging just because of the work I've done off court.

Q. When you've been healthy you've been one of the players who's been able to challenge Serena the most consistently. What do you recall most about those two US Open Finals you played against her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't really think about them, to be honest, because I don't look back too much. And it's something that feels like it's been forever ago. So I feel like today, you know, in my game, myself personally grew so much that it's difficult to go back and think about those memories or those feelings that were on the court back then.
But I'm looking forward to make another one.

Q. Is there something that comes back to you just when you think about the occasion of playing her on that stage?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Excitement, really, because this is the most challenging probably place to play is the US Open finals against Serena, you know. So for me it's really exciting that something that gets me going every time.

Q. When you're out there, your game, does it feel like it's getting back to that level where you were at? I know you just said you don't look back, but when you're playing does it feel like you're at that level when you were playing in 2012 and 2013?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I think the difference between 2012 and 2015, first of all, I feel like I'm playing a lot better. I grew as a player. I have a lot more variety, a lot more power, a lot more consistency and better game overall. So for me, I don't look in getting back there, because that was something that I wanted to build from, and I think so far I've been doing a good job improving myself. And at one point it's all going to connect, and I feel it's getting so much better. And I'm just excited for the future.

Q. Have you thought about your next match at all?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not too much really, but it's actually very exciting for me because we haven't played in such a long time. So when people ask me what do you expect, I don't really remember. So I'll have to just‑‑ I think it's going to be quite a few‑‑ quite a few feeling tomorrow.

Q. After as well as you played on the clay and then into the grass, when you kind of sat down with Sascha and with Winn afterwards and hit into this training block, was it like, okay, let's just keep doing what we've been doing and making the gradual progression forward or were there certain more drastic changes or anything that maybe you thought let's definitely key in on this before we head into the hard court stretch?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, there is no drastic thing to change, because I feel at this level there is no‑‑ I'm not a junior. I'm not developing my game. I'm just improving details.
For me it's just going after it and working really hard and giving myself the best opportunity to take out of every day, you know, the best quality. I think at this level it's more about quality than quantity and really trying to work on specific things.
But when we sat down, we just‑‑ I felt that my game was raising up, so I don't feel like there is much to change. But there is a lot to improve.

Q. When you came back on tour having been kind of injured for a while, was there like a sense of freshness and newness to the tour again which maybe had gone away when you were playing in Europe?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Freshness and what?

Q. Just sort of freshness, newness like you were starting again, like you were young again almost?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Young again? Well, (laughs). I don't know. I just turned 26, and I can't believe that, actually. Everybody say, hey, you are still a baby, and to me it feels like it's been forever I've been playing on tour.
But definitely a different approach mentally that I have since I came back, and I don't think it has anything to do really with tennis game or tennis surroundings. It's what I have done personally off court for myself. So that really just gives me a kind of a new out look, a new fresh start, and that will transform into a tennis court because that's what my life is about right now.

Q. What are some of those things off the court?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Just getting, you know, myself on track, you know, taking responsibilities for your actions, learning from your mistakes, getting organized, which I hate, and now I'm really good at it. You know, having probably the best relationship with my parents that I ever had. So that was something that I worked really hard on, and it's amazing to me.

Q. And what are some of the areas you still kind of looking to get better, either on court or off court?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, everything, because I'm like a perfectionist and that's why I need to like sometimes give myself a little bit of a, I don't know, pat on the back and say good job, you know, because I don't like to be too satisfied because then I get myself too comfortable and then I'm not motivated.
But I feel that I still have a lot of potential to improve as much on the court as much off the court in the physical, and I feel like I improved a lot with you guys since wherever I started. So that's definitely a good job. (Laughs).
THE MODERATOR: Any other questions? Okay. Thank you.
ASAP Sports










Tennis Canada

Rogers Cup

Men's Singles · Men's Doubles · Women's Singles · Women's Doubles
6
A. Radwanska
2nd Round
J. Goerges
Aug 12, 9:00 PM (ET)
3
P. Kvitova
2nd Round
V. Azarenka
Aug 12, 7:00 PM (ET)
13
A. Kerber
2nd Round
M. Puig
Aug 12, 6:00 PM (ET)
4
C. Wozniacki
2nd Round
B. Bencic
Aug 12, 3:00 PM (ET)
D. Cibulkova
2nd Round
A. Cornet
Aug 12, 3:00 PM (ET)
16
A. Petkovic
2nd Round
H. Watson
Aug 12, 3:00 PM (ET)
5
A. Ivanovic
6
0
-
2nd Round
O. Govortsova
4
0
-
Live
C. Witthoeft
2
-
-
2nd Round
A. Riske
2
-
-
Live
2
S. Halep
2nd Round
J. Jankovic
Aug 12, 1:00 PM (ET)
B. Strycova
2nd Round
S. Lisicki
Aug 12, 1:00 PM (ET)
7
L. Safarova
6
5
5
2nd Round
D. Gavrilova
4
7
6
Live
11
E. Makarova
2
77
5
2nd Round
P. Hercog
6
62
5
Live
15
S. Errani
6
2
6
2nd Round
M. Brengle
3
6
3
Aug 12, Completed
8
G. Muguruza
5
1
2nd Round
L. Tsurenko
7
6
Aug 12, Completed
M. Lucic-Baroni
3
3
2nd Round
R. Vinci
6
6
Aug 12, Completed
1
S. Williams
2
6
6
2nd Round
F. Pennetta
6
3
0
Aug 11, Completed





Live Scores

Jelena JJankovic SRB
  • 0
0
Simona SHalep ROU [2]
  • 3
0

Olga OGovortsova BLR
  • 4
  • 5
Ana AIvanovic SRB [5]
  • 6
  • 2

Barbora BStrycova CZE
  • 1
15
Sabine SLisicki GER
  • 1
30

Carina CWitthoeft GER
  • 6
  • 0
40
Alison ARiske USA
  • 4
  • 2
15

Hao-Ching HChan TPE
Yung-Jan YChan TPE
  • 6
  • 3
  • 10
Andrea AHlavackova CZE [7]
Lucie L Hradecka CZE [7]
  • 4
  • 6
  • 8


08/12 - Wednesday
Centre Court
11:00 am
11:00 am

In Progress
DariaD Gavrilova RUS
vs.
LucieL Safarova CZE [7]
Not Before 1:00 pm

Not completed
JelenaJ Jankovic SRB
vs.
SimonaS Halep ROU [2]
Followed By

Not completed
CarolineC Wozniacki DEN [4]
vs.
BelindaB Bencic SUI
Not Before 7:00 pm

Not completed
VictoriaV Azarenka BLR
vs.
PetraP Kvitova CZE [3]
Followed By

Not completed
AgnieszkaA Radwanska POL [6]
vs.
JuliaJ Goerges GER
Grandstand
11:00 am
11:00 am

Finished
LesiaL Tsurenko UKR
def.
GarbiñeG Muguruza ESP [8]
Followed By

In Progress
OlgaO Govortsova BLR
vs.
AnaA Ivanovic SRB [5]
Followed By

Not completed
DominikaD Cibulkova SVK
vs.
AlizéA Cornet FRA
Not Before 6:00 pm

Not completed
AngeliqueA Kerber GER [13]
vs.
MonicaM Puig PUR
Followed By

Not completed
GabrielaG Dabrowski CAN
AlicjaA Rosolska POL
vs.
FrancoiseF Abanda CAN
HeidiH El Tabakh CAN
Court 1
11:00 am
11:00 am

In Progress
EkaterinaE Makarova RUS [11]
vs.
PolonaP Hercog SLO
Followed By

Not completed
BarboraB Strycova CZE
vs.
SabineS Lisicki GER
Not Before 1:00 pm

Not completed
HeatherH Watson GBR
vs.
AndreaA Petkovic GER [16]
Followed By

Not completed
Chin-WeiC Chan TPE
PaulaP Kania POL
vs.
SharonS Fichman CAN
CarolC Zhao CAN
Followed By

Not completed
LaraL Arruabarrena ESP
AndrejaA Klepac SLO
vs.
BelindaB Bencic SUI
DominikaD Cibulkova SVK
Court 2
11:00 am
11:00 am

Finished
SaraS Errani ITA [15]
def.
MadisonM Brengle USA
Followed By

In Progress
CarinaC Witthoeft GER
vs.
AlisonA Riske USA
Not Before 3:00 pm

Not completed
SaraS Errani ITA [6]
FlaviaF Pennetta ITA [6]
vs.
MonaM Barthel GER
MandyM Minella LUX
Followed By

Not completed
DarijaD Jurak CRO
RaquelR Kops-Jones USA
vs.
BethanieB Mattek-Sands USA [3]
LucieL Safarova CZE [3]
Court 3
11:00 am
11:00 am

Finished
RobertaR Vinci ITA
def.
MirjanaM Lucic-Baroni CRO
Followed By

In Progress
Hao-ChingH Chan TPE
Yung-JanY Chan TPE
vs.
AndreaA Hlavackova CZE [7]
LucieL Hradecka CZE [7]
Followed By

Not completed
AnabelA Medina Garrigues ESP
ArantxaA Parra Santonja ESP
vs.
Chia-JungC Chuang TPE
ChenC Liang CHN
Not Before 2:30 pm

Not completed
Irina-CameliaI Begu ROU
RalucaR Olaru ROU
vs.
GarbiñeG Muguruza ESP [8]
CarlaC Suárez Navarro ESP [8]




In Progress




Jelena Jankovic SRB
  • 0
0
Simona Halep ROU [2]
  • 3
0
MATCH DURATION: 00:10:37
Jelena Jankovic
MATCH STATISTICS
Simona Halep
  • 0 Aces 0
  • 1 Double Faults 1
  • 33% 1st Serve % 64%


  • 50% 1st Serve Points Won 100%


  • 25% 2nd Serve Points Won 25%


  • 0% Break Points Saved 0%


  • 1 Service Games Played 2
  • 0% 1st Return Points Won 50%


  • 75% 2nd Return Points Won 75%


  • 0% Break Point Won 100%


  • 2 Return Games Played 1
  • 33% Total Service Points Won 73%


  • 27% Total Return Points Won 67%


  • 29% Total Points Won 71%




ROGERS CUP PRESENTED BY NATIONAL BANK – DRAWS, RESULTS AND ORDERS OF PLAY – TUESDAY AUGUST 11, 2015 / COUPE ROGERS PRÉSENTÉE PAR BANQUE NATIONALE – TABLEAUX, RÉSULTATS ET HORAIRES DES MATCHS - MARDI 11 AOÛT 2015

Please find below the links to the draws, results and order of play for the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank events in Toronto and Montreal.

Veuillez trouver ci-dessous les liens vers les tableaux, les résultats et les horaires de la Coupe Rogers présentée par Banque Nationale de Toronto et de Montréal.

TORONTO RESULTS, TUESDAY AUGUST 11, 2015 / RÉSULTATS DE TORONTO DU MARDI 11 AOÛT 2015

Singles - Second Round / 2e tour
[1] S. Williams (USA) d F. Pennetta (ITA) 26 63 60

Singles - First Round / 1er tour
A. Cornet (FRA) d [9] C. Suárez Navarro (ESP) 63 67(2) 64
[Q] M. Lucic-Baroni (CRO) d [10] K. Pliskova (CZE) 36 76(5) 62
[11] E. Makarova (RUS) d [Q] A. Tatishvili (USA) 63 63
A. Riske (USA) d [12] T. Bacsinszky (SUI) 36 76(4) 76(3)
[13] A. Kerber (GER) d [Q] M. Doi (JPN) 60 61
[15] S. Errani (ITA) d K. Mladenovic (FRA) 57 61 60
[16] A. Petkovic (GER) d [WC] F. Abanda (CAN) 36 64 62
[Q] H. Watson (GBR) d [Q] I. Falconi (USA) 61 62
R. Vinci (ITA) d K. Knapp (ITA) 60 60
D. Gavrilova (RUS) d S. Stosur (AUS) 64 64
B. Bencic (SUI) d E. Bouchard (CAN) 60 57 62
B. Strycova (CZE) d V. Lepchenko (USA) 62 64
[Q] P. Hercog (SLO) d A. Van Uytvanck (BEL) 64 16 63
[Q] O. Govortsova (BLR) d I. Begu (ROU) 63 76(4)
[Q] L. Tsurenko (UKR) d [Q] Y. Wickmayer (BEL) 63 76(3)
[Q] C. Witthoeft (GER) d C. Vandeweghe (USA) 63 36 61
M. Brengle (USA) d [WC] C. Zhao (CAN) 61 61
V. Azarenka (BLR) d E. Svitolina (UKR) 61 64
[LL] J. Goerges (GER) d Z. Diyas (KAZ) 26 61 75
D. Cibulkova (SVK) d S. Stephens (USA) 63 64
[Q] M. Puig (PUR) d [Q] M. Duque-Mariño (COL) 64 46 75
J. Jankovic (SRB) d C. Garcia (FRA) 76(4) 62

Doubles - First Round / 1er tour
K. Mladenovic (FRA) / K. Pliskova (CZE) d [5] C. Dellacqua (AUS) / Y. Shvedova (KAZ) 67(5) 64 15-13
[8] G. Muguruza (ESP) / C. Suárez Navarro (ESP) d J. Jankovic (SRB) / R. Vinci (ITA) 76(5) 60
J. Goerges (GER) / K. Jans-Ignacik (POL) d L. Kichenok (UKR) / O. Savchuk (UKR) 75 63
D. Jurak (CRO) / R. Kops-Jones (USA) d [WC] D. Gavrilova (RUS) / S. Halep (ROU) 62 63
M. Krajicek (NED) / B. Strycova (CZE) d A. Groenefeld (GER) / A. Tomljanovic (CRO) 64 64

August 11, 2015



Serena Williams


TORONTO, ONTARIO

S. WILLIAMS/F. Pennetta
2‑6, 6‑3, 6‑0

THE MODERATOR: First question, pleas.

Q. Serena, was that first match of the tournament a little bit more tense than what you would have liked or is it nice to have a good battle to get things running here on the hard courts?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's definitely a little more tense, but not that I would have liked. It was a good opportunity for me because I haven't played a match on hard courts since April‑ish, early, early April, after Miami. So it was a long time ago. So I think it was really good for me to have that match play.

Q. What do you attribute the first set and then being down a break in the second set? Was it conditions, time off?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Unforced errors, you know, pretty much. Yeah. I had a lot of unforced errors.

Q. What was it that suddenly switched, then, for you to get back in the match and close it out so easily seemingly?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I just told myself to drop it, like drop the racquet low and just get ready to do everything I could to like get into the game and try to do different things, and that's what I started doing.
And I was‑‑ I really didn't‑‑ I was thinking‑‑ last time I was here I won. I should at least try to get through this, you know, and give 200 percent, and you know, I started playing better, but I was still making errors, and then I just started playing a lot better and making less errors.

Q. What was the wind like out there and how is the elbow after this match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: The wind was‑‑ it was windy for sure. Very windy.
Good preparation for the Open, because the Open is much windier than this.
Elbow was okay, definitely not perfect, but, you know, I'll see how it recovers tomorrow.

Q. How did you find your adjustment back to hard courts early on in that match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I just found it‑‑ I found it okay. I just found like it was, just getting used to shots and balls were coming a lot faster.
She played really well. She was hitting the balls deep, and she was doing a lot of things well.

Q. If you best describe the feeling that comes over you when you're down a set, in this case a break in the second? Is it more frustration? Is it anger? What is it that propels you forward and allows you to dig out of so many holes?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it's a little bit of both. I was really frustrated with how I was playing. I was making so many errors. And then I got really angry. And then‑‑ and that frustration just kind of was like, okay, just try something different, just keep going. And I was just, you know, and then I felt like I was actually a little too frustrated and I was a little too down on myself, so I said, Serena, you're going to have to be positive and be good to yourself out here. And then once I started being more positive, I started actually playing better, too.

Q. That's 12 straight match wins for you now in Toronto. What is it about this city, this tournament, this environment that seems to see you play so well?
SERENA WILLIAMS: We are 12. Okay. I don't know. I love the city, and I've said this a million times. I really love playing here. I love the vibe. I love the city.

Q. Does it surprise you that if you go back to 2001, the first year you were champion here, there's nobody left from that year's tournament still playing here except for you? How does that make you feel?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Like a nice vintage wine. (Laughs). A good vintage red wine, I'd say, getting better with age, I hope.
THE MODERATOR: Any other questions? Okay. Thank you very much.

ASAP Sports

MONTREAL RESULTS, TUESDAY AUGUST 11, 2015 / RÉSULTATS DE MONTRÉAL DU MARDI 11 AOÛT 2015

Singles Second Round / 2e tour
[1] N. Djokovic (SRB) d T. Bellucci (BRA) 63 76(4)
I. Karlovic (CRO) d [8] M. Raonic (CAN) 76(1) 76(1)

Singles First Round / 1er tour
[10] J. Tsonga (FRA) d B. Coric (CRO) 64 64
L. Rosol (CZE) d [12] K. Anderson (RSA) 76(2) 76(4)
[13] D. Goffin (BEL) d S. Johnson (USA) 62 62
[14] G. Dimitrov (BUL) d [Q] A. Dolgopolov (UKR) 64 75
[16] J. Isner (USA) d B. Becker (GER) 64 67(6) 63
J. Sock (USA) d A. Mannarino (FRA) 62 26 76(5)
[Q] E. Gulbis (LAT) d D. Thiem (AUT) 36 76(8) 61
N. Kyrgios (AUS) d F. Verdasco (ESP) 63 46 64
[WC] V. Pospisil (CAN) d [Q] Y. Lu (TPE) 64 63
J. Chardy (FRA) d [LL] N. Mahut (FRA) 61 75
[Q] M. Youzhny (RUS) d V. Troicki (SRB) 63 75
P. Andujar (ESP) d [WC] F. Dancevic (CAN) 62 64
R. Bautista Agut (ESP) d [PR] J. Tipsarevic (SRB) 63 64

Doubles First Round / 1er tour
M. Cilic (CRO) / R. Lindstedt (SWE) d [WC] P. Bester (CAN) / A. Shamasdin (CAN) 63 64
G. Monfils (FRA) / J. Tsonga (FRA) d [WC] L. Hewitt (AUS) / N. Kyrgios (AUS) 75 64

TORONTO ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12, 2015 / HORAIRE DES MATCHS DE TORONTO – MERCREDI 12 AOÛT 2015

CENTRE COURT start 11:00 / débute à 11 h
D. Gavrilova (RUS) vs [7] L. Safarova (CZE)

Not Before 1:00 pm / pas avant 13 h
J. Jankovic (SRB) vs [2] [WC] S. Halep (ROU)
[4] C. Wozniacki (DEN) vs B. Bencic (SUI)

Not Before 7:00 pm / pas avant 19 h
V. Azarenka (BLR) vs [3] P. Kvitova (CZE)
[6] A. Radwanska (POL) vs [LL] J. Goerges (GER)

GRANDSTAND start 11:00 am / débute à 11 h
[8] G. Muguruza (ESP) vs [Q] L. Tsurenko (UKR)
[Q] O. Govortsova (BLR) vs [5] A. Ivanovic (SRB)
D. Cibulkova (SVK) vs A. Cornet (FRA)

Not Before 6:00 pm / pas avant 18 h
[13] A. Kerber (GER) vs [Q] M. Puig (PUR)
G. Dabrowski (CAN) / A. Rosolska (POL) vs [WC] F. Abanda (CAN) / H. El Tabakh (CAN)

COURT 1 start 11:00 am / débute à 11 h
[11] E. Makarova (RUS) vs [Q] P. Hercog (SLO)
B. Strycova (CZE) vs S. Lisicki (GER)
[Q] I. Falconi (USA) or [Q] H. Watson (GBR) vs [16] A. Petkovic (GER)
C. Chan (TPE) / P. Kania (POL) vs [WC] S. Fichman (CAN) / C. Zhao (CAN)
After Suitable Rest - L. Arruabarrena (ESP) / A. Klepac (SLO) vs [WC] B. Bencic (SUI) / D. Cibulkova (SVK)

COURT 2 start 11:00 am / débute à 11 h
[15] S. Errani (ITA) vs M. Brengle (USA)
[Q] C. Witthoeft (GER) vs A. Riske (USA)
After Suitable Rest - [6] S. Errani (ITA) / F. Pennetta (ITA) vs [Alt] M. Barthel (GER) / M. Minella (LUX)
After Suitable Rest - D. Jurak (CRO) / R. Kops-Jones (USA) vs [3] B. Mattek-Sands (USA) / L. Safarova (CZE)

COURT 3 start 11:00 am / débute à 11 h
[Q] M. Lucic-Baroni (CRO) vs R. Vinci (ITA)
H. Chan (TPE) / Y. Chan (TPE) vs [7] A. Hlavackova (CZE) / L. Hradecka (CZE)
A. Medina Garrigues (ESP) / A. Parra Santonja (ESP) vs C. Chuang (TPE) / C. Liang (CHN)
After Suitable Rest - I. Begu (ROU) / I. Olaru (ROU) vs [8] G. Muguruza (ESP) / C. Suárez Navarro (ESP)

Click here for printable version. / Cliquez ici pour obtenir une version imprimable.

MONTREAL ORDER OF PLAY – WEDNESDAY AUGUST 12, 2015 / HORAIRE DES MATCHS DE MONTRÉAL – MERCREDI 12 AOÛT 2015

COURT CENTRAL start 12:30 pm / débute à 12 h 30
P. Andujar (ESP) vs [4] K. Nishikori (JPN)

Not Before 2:30 pm / pas avant 14 h 30
[7] R. Nadal (ESP) vs S. Stakhovsky (UKR)
T. Robredo (ESP) vs [2] A. Murray (GBR) 44

Not Before 6:30 pm / pas avant 18 h 30
[WC] V. Pospisil (CAN) vs [16] J. Isner (USA)
[3] S. Wawrinka (SUI) vs N. Kyrgios (AUS)

BANQUE NATIONALE start 12:30 pm / débute à 12 h 30
[Q] M. Youzhny (RUS) vs [9] G. Simon (FRA)
[15] G. Monfils (FRA) vs G. Muller (LUX)
[Q] D. Young (USA) vs [5] T. Berdych (CZE)
R. Bautista Agut (ESP) vs [10] J. Tsonga (FRA)
P. Cuevas (URU) / D. Marrero (ESP) vs D. Nestor (CAN) / E. Roger-Vasselin (FRA)

COURT 9 start 12:30 pm / débute à 12 h 30
J. Sock (USA) vs [14] G. Dimitrov (BUL)
[6] M. Cilic (CRO) vs B. Tomic (AUS)
[PR] N. Djokovic (SRB) / J. Tipsarevic (SRB) vs [4] R. Bopanna (IND) / F. Mergea (ROU)
R. Nadal (ESP) / F. Verdasco (ESP) vs [8] P. Herbert (FRA) / N. Mahut (FRA)
After Suitable Rest - F. Fognini (ITA) / T. Robredo (ESP) vs R. Klaasen (RSA) / R. Ram (USA)

COURT 5 start 12:30 pm / débute à 12 h 30
J. Chardy (FRA) vs L. Mayer (ARG)
[13] D. Goffin (BEL) vs S. Querrey (USA)
L. Rosol (CZE) vs [Q] E. Gulbis (LAT)
M. Cilic (CRO) / R. Lindstedt (SWE) vs [6] A. Peya (AUT) / B. Soares (BRA)
F. Lopez (ESP) / M. Mirnyi (BLR) vs D. Goffin (BEL) / D. Thiem (AUT)

Click here for printable version. / Cliquez ici pour obtenir une version imprimable.

TORONTO DRAWS / TABLEAUX DE TORONTO
For main draw singles click here . / Cliquez ici pour le tableau principal du simple.
For main draw doubles click here. / Cliquez ici pour le tableau principal du double.
Click here for qualifying singles draw / Cliquez ici pour le tableau des qualifications du simple.

MONTREAL DRAWS / TABLEAUX DE MONTRÉAL
For main draw singles click here . / Cliquez ici pour le tableau principal du simple.
For main draw doubles click here. / Cliquez ici pour le tableau principal du double.
Click here for qualifying singles draw / Cliquez ici pour le tableau des qualifications du simple.

About the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank
Rogers Cup presented by National Bank is a Tennis Canada owned and operated world-class tournament celebrating its 135th anniversary of the men’s event from August 7-16, 2015 at Uniprix Stadium in Montreal and its 123rd anniversary of the women’s event from August 8-16, 2015 at Aviva Centre in Toronto. As an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, Premier WTA tournament and Emirates Airline U.S. Open Series event, Rogers Cup presented by National Bank will showcase the world’s best players. Rogers Cup presented by National Bank is the third-oldest title in tennis, behind only Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. For more information and tickets visit www.rogerscup.com.

About Tennis Canada
Founded in 1890, Tennis Canada is a non-profit, national sport association with a mission to lead the growth of tennis in Canada and a vision to become a world-leading tennis nation. We value teamwork, passion, integrity, innovation and excellence. Tennis Canada owns and operates the premier Rogers Cup presented by National Bank WTA and ATP World Tour events, eight professional ITF- sanctioned events and financially supports 15 other professional tournaments in Canada. Tennis Canada operates national junior training centres/programs in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Tennis Canada is a proud member of the International Tennis Federation, the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Canadian Paralympic Committee and the International Wheelchair Tennis Association, and serves to administer, sponsor and select the teams for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, the Olympic and Paralympic Games and all wheelchair, junior and senior national teams. Tennis Canada invests its surplus into tennis development. For more information on Tennis Canada, please visit our website at www.tenniscanada.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Media Contacts Toronto
Sarah Grossman, Manager, Communications and Media Relations 
                sgrossman@tenniscanada.com, 416-650-7922
Nicole Watts, Coordinator, Communications and Media Relations
                nwatts@tenniscanada.com, 416-665-9777 x4092

Media Contacts Montreal
Valerie Tetreault, Regional Manager, Communications and Media Relations
vtetreault@tenniscanada.com, 514-273-1515 x259




No comments: