Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2012

ROGERS CUP 2012 - WOMEN: Live from Montreal, rain delay and double shift in Toronto


World No.6 and former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova took on Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli in the pre-quarterfinal clash of Rogers Cup, Montreal on Friday and won straight sets 6-1, 6-1



August 9, 2012



Na Li


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

N. LI/E. Bouchard
6‑4, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Can you talk a little bit about the opponent tonight?
NA LI:  I really have to say she's playing unbelievable today.  I mean, she's young and also she just win the Wimbledon this year, also.
Today I could win the match because I was stay a long time for the tour, so I got more experience on the court.  Yeah.

Q.  How difficult was it with the rain delay and not knowing when you were going to play?
NA LI:  I mean, it's really tough.  I think I was warming up like hundred times already.  Yeah, because, I mean, you never know when you can come to court, so you always have to like stand up every second.
So, yeah.  But finally, I mean, the good news is we finish the match today.  Yeah.  (Smiling.)

Q.  Did you feel any extra pressure especially there at the end when the rain started coming down?  I'm sure you just wanted to finish that match, as well?
NA LI:  Of course, I didn't want to wait only one point, wait for another five hours.  I was like 40‑Love, I lose one point, I heard like behind me, the guy was like, Rain, stop.
I was like focus.  It's tough to play home country, home player.  I would like to say today is big challenge for me.

Q.  Were you impressed by her play?  She was playing on center court, not easy for her playing one of the best players in the world.
NA LI:  It was tough.  Today I was nervous.  I mean, everyone, you saw the match, everyone can hear after she win the one point.  I would like to say today I was play good as well on the court.  So I think we show the fans we play good match, yeah.

August 9, 2012



Aleksandra Wozniak


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

A. WOZNIAK/J. Jankovic
6‑2, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  What did you like best about your match today?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  What I liked best?  I was really happy with the way I kept being really focused each point, the positive in my mind.  Even though sometimes I did an error or anything, I tried really to have a good attitude on the court and just play offensive tennis.
So I was happy with the way I felt today, for sure, second round, taking it to the next one.

Q.  Do you feel the power of experience sometimes in moments like that?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yeah, for sure.  You know, I also, after being for such a long time on the sidelines from injury, it just helped build up my character, be stronger and tougher and in important points under pressure and the stress.
I think it helps, you know, at this high level again like I was before, so I just take it, keep moving forward with that experience.

Q.  What's it mean that it's here in Montreal?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  What it means?

Q.  Getting to the third round.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Couldn't have been better, you know, to be here in front of the home crowd and do my third round here at a big tournament like this, no?  I'm really excited.

Q.  Petra Kvitova last night was talking about the difficulty of transitioning from grass to hard court because there has been so much grass this month with Wimbledon and the Olympics.  How have you found that?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yeah, exactly.  It's been a big year, and it was a question of adapting, time change, the balls are different, the surface.  For sure physically and mentally it's tough on the players, but, I mean, we do it 10 months out of 12, changing always surfaces, and we have to adapt quickly.  It's never easy.
I tried to prepare the best I could for this tournament with few days on hard courts, but, yeah, it's definitely not easy.  It's a challenge, but, I mean, we always put ourselves into challenges at this high level.  You do the best that you can on the court.

Q.  It's the first time in five meetings you've beaten Jankovic.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yeah, it was about time.  (Smiling.)

Q.  How was this one different other than just winning it?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yeah, today, and when I knew I would play Jelena, it was really important for me.  I really wanted to win this because, you know, for sure I have lost tough matches against her, and, you know, I really wanted to win today and be so focused on what I had to do and not on how she plays, you know, execute my game plan.  Today I succeeded at that.  I'm happy about that.

Q.  Tell us about the relationship between yourself and Eugenie.  There has been a lot of talk obviously about how well she's been playing.  What kind of advice do you give her and what's the relationship between the two of you?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yeah, we played doubles yesterday.  I seen her here at the national center training.  She's a great girl.  It's nice to see her transition from juniors to pro.
So far it's going smoothly.  Yeah, she has great potential.  It's nice to see that Canadian tennis is growing on the professional side, and we're rocking the tour so far.  So it's good.  It's nice to see more Canadians on the tour, definitely.
THE MODERATOR:  Questions in French.

Q.  You were not playing your best tennis, yet this victory was impressive.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  My strategy worked out well.  In fact, I'm very close to my best tennis, because against her I need to play well if I want to win.  Last time we played, we played three big sets, so it was important for me to play my best tennis and do whatever I could to win that match.

Q.  What was that strategy or game plan?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  I tried to concentrate on each point one after the other, to be consistent and to hit hard from the baseline.  I really wanted to go for my shots.

Q.  You seemed more confident than in your first match and your serve worked out well today.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yes, I wanted to go into that match with that kind of energy, and everything worked out well.  I think the more I advance in this tournament, the better my rhythm is.

Q.  How does it feel to play at home?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  I'm very happy to be playing here, and also I am very happy with my level of tennis.

Q.  So far you had an excellent year.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yes, it's a very big year for me.  I was dreaming of representing Canada, and also I feel more confident now when the matches are tough.

Q.  What can you say about your next opponent, whichever it is?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Well, McHale is a very good player, and Voskoboeva, I played her lately in Eastbourne.  Both of them are very good players, and I will need to raise my level of game against either one.

Q.  You lost four times against Jankovic.  At what moment in the match did you start believing you could win?
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  I was just trying to focus on each point one at a time.  I saw she was trying to raise her level, but I tried to keep the pressure on her and to keep hitting hard.  We played good rallies, and what I needed was to dictate the point.

Q.  You also returned a lot better.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  It was important for me to have good returns, because then I could dictate the point and I could put pressure on my opponent from the beginning of the rally and put her in a difficult position.
As to my serve, I was able to win many points, thanks to this shot.

Q.  And Jankovic seemed to make many mistakes.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  She did, but I was trying to give her no rhythm, and in fact I was trying to make her make mistakes.  The rallies were going very fast, and I was trying to do as few errors as I could.

Q.  It was a long time you hadn't beaten a top 20 player.
ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK:  Yes, I am happy with my game right now.  I have improved and I am more consistent, and I will prepare as well as I can for my next round.


August 9, 2012



Marion Bartoli


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

M. BARTOLI/S. Peng
6‑1, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR:  Questions in French, please.

Q.  Are you happy with this good start?
MARION BARTOLI:  I'm feeling good.  I had a break after SanDiego.  I went home, and I didn't have to change surfaces to come in here, so I believe it's going to be an advantage for me in this tournament.
I was able to play several good matches in SanDiego in a row, and I feel my game is well into place.  After the French Open and Wimbledon, this is important to me, because I felt my game was not good enough, and I wanted to see what was wrong about it.  Since SanDiego, I feel I am improving.

Q.  Why did everything improve in SanDiego?
MARION BARTOLI:  Well, there are several reasons for that.  I felt the way I was hitting the ball had gone worse.  I don't believe I was hitting well on clay or on grass either.  I was letting my opponents dictate the points.  With my game, this is not possible.
So I decided to do something about it, and in SanDiego, although I had very tough matches, I felt things were improving.
I had also 10 days' practice at home, and I believe now I really made an improvement and I am going in the right direction.

Q.  Were you surprised that the match went so fast against Peng, who is a really good player?
MARION BARTOLI:  I am disappointed I lost the first game in the second set, because I was giving her a break.  She didn't play so many winners in that game.  I just let her have it.
We played twice already.  In Dubai it didn't really count, because I had an injury in my calf.  The last time we played we had long rallies, but both of us hit the ball early, so generally speaking, our matches don't last too long.  But for this match I thought I could finish it even faster.

Q.  What did you do during your 10 days at home?
MARION BARTOLI:  Many things.  My brother came with his wife and his son, who is my nephew, and I did a lot of baby‑sitting.  He's just starting to walk, so I was practicing my reflexes following him everywhere.
Anyway, it was good having time with my family.  Those 8 to 10 days at home did me a lot of good because I was able to do something else than what I usually do.

Q.  Kvitova?
MARION BARTOLI:  We certainly are not going to have long rallies in that match.  She's a player who likes dictating the game.  I believe the winner will be the one who has the best ratio between unforced errors and winners.
If I let her step into the court, it's going to be too tough for me.  So I need to hit hard.  My serve will be an important factor.  As I said, the best percentage of winners over unforced errors will win.

Q.  Do you feel fresh now for the upcoming season?
MARION BARTOLI:  Well, I'm going to play Cincinnati, New Haven, and the US Open.  I feel ready right now, but of course the truth happens on the court.
Anyway, I feel I have charged my batteries, I'm full of energy, and I hope I will do well this year in the US Open because the past two or three years have been a catastrophe for me there, so I really hope to do better this year.
Last year I had a good month of May, and June, also, but after that I was a bit tired.  So I had a tough time at the US Open.  So I really hope to do well this year in the US Open.

August 9, 2012



Roberta Vinci


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

R. VINCI/A. Ivanovic
6‑0, 6‑0

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Were you surprised by the result?
ROBERTA VINCI:  Yes.  (Smiling.)  Very surprised.  It is not easy to win 6‑Love 6‑Love against a great player, for sure.
I played good.  She played so bad I think today, but I played really consistent, a lot of slice.  She doesn't like my slice.  But I'm happy.

Q.  Is it rare to have an opponent play as bad as you thought she played today?
ROBERTA VINCI:  Yes, it's strange.  You know, I played against her a lot of times, but for me, you know, when you have nothing to lose, you play probably better.
But, yeah, it's strange to play against her when she plays like this, for sure.

Q.  Which was the key of the match?  Your slice?
ROBERTA VINCI:  My slice probably, yes.  She doesn't like my slice.  I play a lot of slice.  I play all the time slice, so probably this was the key.  She was a little bit confused about my slice.

Jelena Jankovic


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

A. WOZNIAK/J. Jankovic
6‑2, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  How bad was your back today?  Was it your back?
JELENA JANKOVIC:  Yeah, I had, you know, a little bit of a problem, but it's okay.  I still was able to stay in the court and, you know, play the match.

Q.  What were your thoughts on the match?
JELENA JANKOVIC:  Wozniak played, you know, pretty well.  She was solid.  I was, you know, not in the top of my game, and I didn't‑‑ you know, I feel like I was struggling on my side of the net.  You know, there was a lot of things I could have done a lot better.
I didn't serve well, I got broken so many times, I made a lot of double faults, and, you know, there was a lot of things that were in my control that I didn't do and, you know, she took advantage of that.  She took her opportunities, and, you know, obviously won the match.  So it was, you know, difficult.
You know, I was trying to find a way.  You know, during, you know, those days when you don't feel so well, you don't feel the ball well and your game is not there, those are the times when you have to somehow find a way to get through these kind of matches.
But I wasn't able to do that.  She was the better one.

Q.  Is she improving?
JELENA JANKOVIC:  To be honest, I don't know, you know, because I didn't play against her for a long time.  I don't know how she played before that, if she's improving or not.
So probably she can tell you that better.  She's in her own skin, and she plays her tennis.  I can only talk on my behalf.

Q.  I was going to ask about the same question.  It was your fifth game against Wozniak.  Would you say you saw a better or different Wozniak today?
JELENA JANKOVIC:  Our fifth match?

Q.  You played four times against her before today.
JELENA JANKOVIC:  Yeah, I won them all, but to be honest, I played against her two years ago.

Q.  Wimbledon.
JELENA JANKOVIC:  So it's difficult to say.  So much goes on.  You know, we play so many matches in between, and a lot of things change and we obviously get older and more experience.
So there's a lot of things that, you know, are better that improve, but, you know, she's playing ‑‑I cannot tell, you know, if she's better or not.  This is difficult.  I'm also not the coach.  Who am I to comment on that?
But, you know, all I can comment is on her performance today, that she played very well and she was very solid.  She did what she had to do to win the match.  That's what matters.

Q.  Just wondering how you feel about yourself, your game, your health and everything from now into the US Open.
JELENA JANKOVIC:  I have been training really hard, and I felt really good on the practice court.  I was really executing my shots and, you know, I felt great.
Then for some reason when I came inside, you know, the match court, I wasn't, you know, doing the same things.  You know, a lot of my shots broke down, and it wasn't the same.
So I wasn't able to find the key.  You know, first of all when it comes just to my side of the net, the things that, you know, like the serve, nobody can rush me and nobody can, you know, do something to get that shot worse.  It's just everything is in my control.  And if I can serve well in practice and I go and play the match and I make so many double faults and I don't make a lot of first serves in and I'm pretty much playing the whole match with a second serve, it's not the greatest scenario.
So like I said, it was not easy to be there, and I tried to stay as positive as I could, you know, to fight, and I was fighting at the end.  It maybe could have been a different story if I won that game at 5‑3, because it was very close, and I had the feeling that if I win that game to be break 5‑4 and I'm serving, maybe I can turn the match around and, you know, we can maybe get into a third.  But it was my illusions and, you know, something that I was, you know, thinking about when I was playing, but unfortunately I wasn't able to do that.  That's it.
You know, but that's tennis as a sport.  You're going to have good days and bad days, but in those bad days, you know, the best ones are able to find a way to win and get through.  So I wasn't able to do that.

August 9, 2012



Ana Ivanovic


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

R. VINCI/A. Ivanovic
6‑0, 6‑0

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  (Off microphone.)
ANA IVANOVIC:  No, I really struggled to find my rhythm out there, and it was really‑‑ you know, it came as a surprise a little bit, because I was practicing really well, and, you know, I felt the ball nicely.
Today I just struggled to find my feet and to get two consecutive balls in the court.  Against players like Roberta that don't make many errors, it's always going to be tough.

Q.  Did it surprise you as it was happening, as it was unfolding?  Did you feel like you were trying to figure out some way to turn it around?
ANA IVANOVIC:  Yeah, you know, obviously when you are 4‑Love down, 5‑Love down, 6‑Love down, the panic starts to set in.  You want it even more.
I tried to force it a little bit.  You know, it was bad as it was already, you know, without having to force.  You know, my serve wasn't working, and just, you know, it was really, really tough for me out there.

Q.  Has anything like that ever happened?  Has that ever happened to you before?
ANA IVANOVIC:  I can't remember last time I had a match like this, you know, maybe not since I was junior.
Yeah, it's obviously tough, you know, but I just want to try and put it behind me and try to forget about this because that's the only thing you can do.  You can't dwell so much.

Q.  (Off microphone.)
ANA IVANOVIC:  Yeah, definitely it was tough.  Actually when I came here first I thought it was the toughest surface change I have had to do because we had been on grass for so long, and also for the first time we had to kind of go from one day to another on a different surface.
The last few days I was hitting the ball so nicely.  I had such a good rhythm.  I was actually, you know, excited and happy, you know, about today's match and this tournament.
I really, you know, thought I can get by.  I didn't.  I'm going home on a bike.

Q.  (Off microphone.)  Did you speak to her after her loss?
ANA IVANOVIC:  We did speak a little bit and not straightaway.  I don't think she will hear from me straightaway, either.

Q.  Your coach was not here earlier in the week when you first got here.  It was interesting to see you sort of walking around all by yourself and doing your own thing.  Was there a reason he wasn't here?  Was that strange to you, as well?
ANA IVANOVIC:  It was.  It was very strange.  Actually the first day I was supposed to have a day off, but I really felt like coming out and hitting a little bit.
He just had issue with his passport.  He had to take a later flight.  That definitely was strange.

August 9, 2012



Eugenie Bouchard


MONTREAL, QUEBEC

N. LI/E. Bouchard
6‑4, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Li Na really was putting the pressure on, a lot of power.  What can you do?  What do you have to change in your approach to be able to get to those balls, given the top 10 players tend to be able to have that ability to force the pressure?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yeah, I think it was key for me to try to get control before her when I was able to dictate with my serve or the first ball, like the return.  I did well.  But then when she got, you know, control of the point, at the beginning of the point she was pretty dominant on that.  So I think I was just trying to be as aggressive as I could from the start.
On the defense it's pretty tough.  She does put a lot of pressure, and she won't miss those easy balls, so it's definitely tough.

Q.  You're obviously very aggressive when you play.  Do you foresee adding any other wrinkles to your game going forward, given...
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Adding any what?

Q.  Adding any aspects to your game?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I definitely want to be aggressive and come to the net more if I can.  I think that's been helping me a lot recently.  You know, when I have an easy ball, I'm trying to finish it off at the net because I think that's the way I should play.

Q.  You had a couple easy balls at the net, some overheads.  Was that just nerves?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  It might have been.

Q.  The conditions?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yeah.  She also, I mean, gets that extra ball back.  Not all players wouldn't have gotten that extra one back.  It's definitely tough to put away the points, but, yeah, I should have made those.

Q.  I just wonder how you assess your overall performance this week.  You have gone one round farther than last year.
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yeah.  I mean, there is a positive in that.  Disappointing I didn't go another round, as well.  I have learned a lot this week, and I just want to keep playing players of this level, and, you know, that's how I'm going to move forward.

Q.  Following up on your schedule, is there a chance of you getting a wildcard or qualifying for the US Open?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I'm not sure about that.  The plan right now is Dallas unless that would happen.  I don't know at this point.

Q.  How were you able to deal with the rain delay not knowing when your game was going to start?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  It's not the best thing, but it's the same for both players.  We lie on the couch and listen to music and wait and wait and wait.  I was happy to play tonight, and, you know, there was still a decent amount of people in the crowd.  That was fun.  You know, it's just one of those things you have to deal with.
THE MODERATOR:  Questions in French.

Q.  What was the difference between yesterday's match and today's match?  A different caliber?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  It was another level, for sure.  Li Na plays deep and she hits hard, and she puts a lot of pressure on you, so it was difficult.
But I had my chances.  I played well but not all the time, but I know I will learn a lot, thanks to that match.

Q.  It was not the scenario you had anticipated, but can you give us your assessment of this Rogers Cup?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  It was a good week.  I am very happy that I was able to pull out yesterday with playing three sets.  Today my level was very close to the top 11 in the world, and still I want to do even better.  But I had some break points.

Q.  Of course you lost, but this shows that the doors are open for you?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yes, I'm close to that level.  I will play more and more against that kind of players.  I hope in the future I will win against them.

Q.  What did your coach tell you in between the two sets?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  He told me to try to serve harder and to be more aggressive, and it worked out pretty well to be aggressive from the beginning of the point.

Q.  What did you do different in those break points?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Twice I had an easy ball that I missed, and that's disappointing.  But for the others she played well.  This is typical from the best players in the world.  They always play well on important points.

Q.  What will be the program now?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I'm playing Dallas in a week, and then I will play the US Open in juniors.  That will not be the same caliber, but it will be another type of pressure.  Then I will go to Asia, and I hope I will play those players again and be able to improve.

Q.  Can you compare the player you were last year with the player you are this year?
EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I'm a lot better.  I have better weapons like my serve now, and also mentally I'm a lot stronger, like I was able to win that match yesterday.  So I improved, but there is still a lot to be improved, so this is what I'm going to do.

MONTREAL - The rain didn't completely wipe out the Rogers Cup slate in Montreal on Friday as it had in Toronto Thursday, but the wet stuff still caused headaches for the second consecutive day on the women's side.
Only one centre-court match at Uniprix Stadium had been completed Friday when steady rain led officials to postpone all matches mid-afternoon.
Rain also had halted the evening session in its tracks late Thursday, pushing several matches back until the next day.
The elements left hometown fans hanging Friday as Canada's Aleksandra Wozniak was one game away from upsetting American and world No. 26 Christina McHale.
The chair umpire halted the match with Wozniacki leading 7-6(5) 5-2, as she tried to advance to the Rogers Cup quarters for the first time in her career.
Earlier Friday, Czech mates Petra Kvitova and Lucie Safarova were the first to advance to the quarterfinals.
Kvitova, the world No. 6 player, easily handled Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli, 6-1, 6-1, at centre court.
The 22-year-old advances to her first-ever Rogers Cup quarterfinal after a strong season in which she reached the semifinals of the Australian Open and the French Open.
She'll face the winner of the match between unseeded players Tamira Paszek of Austria and Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
Meanwhile, at National Bank court, the 23rd-ranked Safarova needed more than two hours to upend world No. 5 Samantha Stosur of Australia, 7-6(9), 7-6(5).
Tournament No. 7 seed Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark moved past Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands 7-5, 6-1 before the rain delay.
But the top remaining seed, world No. 2 Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland, was unable to begin her showdown against unseeded South African Chanelle Scheepers for a berth in the quarterfinals.
In doubles action Friday, the top-seeded duo of Americans Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond were the first to advance to the semifinals. They moved on after Sabine Lisicki of Germany and Peng Shuai of China retired.
Other doubles winners were No. 3 seeds Nadia Petrova of Russian and Katarina Srebotnik.
Also advancing in doubles were the unseeded pair of American Bethanie Mattek-Sands and India native Sania Mirza.








World No.6 and former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova took on Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli in the pre-quarterfinal clash of Rogers Cup, Montreal on Friday and won straight sets 6-1, 6-1...
Petra Kvitova has had a poor year so far and is yet to win a title. She started the year in Sydney making it to the semifinal. She did well again at the Australian Open and once again ended up a losing semifinalist to Maria Sharapova. In February Kvitova was injured and wasn't able to take part in a tournament. Still recovering from the injury, the Czech failed to make an impact at the Indian Wells and Miami.
In the clay court season, the World No.4 did well making it to the semifinals of both Stuttgart and then Roland Garros. At Wimbledon, current champion Serena Williams ended her reign in the quarterfinal of the event. At the recently concluded Olympics, the Czech once again fell short of expectations losing to Russian Maria Kirilenko in the quarters.
Her opponent - Bartoli has 28-17 win loss record this year and has 7 career singles titles to her name. She must be hoping to add one more title here in Montreal.
Both the players have met two times before and Bartoli has won each of them. Last time they met at EASTBOURNE last year where Bartoli won 6-1 4-6 7-5.



 

No comments: