Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2012

LONDON 2012 FIRST CANADIAN GOLD MEDAL: Rosannagh MacLennan won Canada’s first gold medal of the London Olympics on Saturday, taking top spot in the women’s trampoline at the North Greenwich Arena




LONDON — Rosannagh MacLennan won Canada’s first gold medal of the London Olympics on Saturday, taking top spot in the women’s trampoline at the North Greenwich Arena.
“I'm pretty happy, I did a good performance. I always believed that everything was possible, but I was just focusing on my routines. I didn't want to get ahead of myself, because that's when you make mistakes,” MacLennan said after the win.
MacLennan, from King City, Ont., received the most points for difficulty and execution in the eight-woman final. She finished with 57.305 points.
“This was definitely the highest score I've ever gotten, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself before the Chinese (one of them was the 2008 Olympic champion) had to compete,” she said.
Shanshan Huang won silver with 56.730 points and Chinese compatriot Wenna He took the bronze with 55.950.
Three-time Olympic medallist Karen Cockburn of Stouffville, Ont., just missed the podium in fourth place with 55.860 points.
“This is the worst place, but I'm happy for Rosie. I thought I would be in third after the mistake of the Chinese gymnast (HE Wenna), but I'm missing out on the bronze with 0,1 point. I'm very disappointed,” Cockburn said.
MacLennan, from King City, Ont., was beaming as the gold was placed around her neck at the medal ceremony. She waved to the crowd as Canadian fans waved flags and snapped pictures before “O Canada” was played.
“I was so proud and excited, representing your country is a real honour. It was exciting and a little bit surreal,” MacLennan beamed.
She finished seventh in her Olympic debut in Beijing four years ago.
The lone Canadian entry in the men’s competition, Jason Burnett of Nobleton, Ont., finished eighth on Friday.
More: Olympic hopeful Rosie MacLennan learned to trampoline as a kid sister
With files from Shawna Richer


Top Stories on the Web:

No comments: