Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Ronaldo and Brazil 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP: Argentina could spring a surprise


 

 


Share
Ronaldo: Argentina could spring a surprise
© LOC
(LOC) Thursday 5 December 2013
Twice a world champion in four FIFA World Cup™ appearances; the leading scorer in the history of the competition with 15 goals; a three-time winner of the FIFA World Player of the Year award; and one of the greatest footballers of all time: Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, otherwise known as O Fenômeno, achieved much during the years when he graced the pitches of the world.
His days of terrorising opposing defences behind him, Ronaldo is now an authority on his country’s preparations to host the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil.
A member of the Management Board of Brazil 2014's Local Organising Committee (LOC), he gave a wide-ranging press conference on Wednesday, discussing a series of topics from demonstrations in the streets and construction work at the stadiums to the legacy of the World Cup and Brazil’s hopes of success in next year’s competition. FIFA.com rounds up what the Brazilian superstar had to say on those subjects and more.
On what the Final Draw might bring for Brazil...“Starting the competition in one of the weaker groups could be a good thing, but I don’t think the Brazil team needs to sit there hoping for a weak group or a strong one. They showed at the FIFA Confederations Cup that they have a very strong side and that they’re the red hot favourites to win the FIFA World Cup.”
On the criteria for the Final Draw...“I think the [FIFA/Coca-Cola World] Ranking tells us who’s the best right now. Being a traditional powerhouse doesn’t mean to say you’re going to win the FIFA World Cup. You have to play good football and have a bit of luck too. Some of the big names aren’t seeded and that’s because they haven’t performed that well over the last couple of years.”
On the favourites for the title...Brazil are top of my list of favourites. Then come Germany, followed by Spain and Argentina. Argentina could spring a nasty surprise (laughs). Have you thought about Argentina winning here in Brazil?”
On Brazil’s selection...“Knowing Felipão as I do, I don’t think he’s got any doubts at all. He’s had things very clear in his mind right from the Confederations Cup.”

I’m convinced he’s going to become the greatest player in the world and competing in Europe will go a long way to helping him achieve that.

Ronaldo on Neymar
On how Brazil are shaping up...“I think the team are looking pretty good. There are none of the controversies we’ve had in previous years about certain players getting picked or not. The best players are already there and the team is on the right track. The players just need to get motivated now for the World Cup, and Felipão is a great motivator. He’s very good at handling and managing teams, and he’s knows how to gee the players up and make sure they’re raring to go.”
On the legacy of the competition...“I see the FIFA World Cup as a major opportunity for all of us, one that will bring investments for our country. We’re going to have a great legacy here, with all the investments that have been made in infrastructures, the Host Cities, new stadiums and the renovation and building of airports and more.”
On construction work at the stadiums...“The sooner they are ready, the better it will be for everyone because it will give us the chance to test the stadiums, the pitch and how the facilities work at events like concerts. As we saw at the Confederations Cup, things went better at the stadiums that were completed earlier and where we were able to carry out testing. That’s why we’re anxious to see the stadiums handed over with time to spare so that we can test them and make sure there are no problems.”
On the demonstrations in Brazil...“We hadn’t seen people demonstrating and taking to the streets like that here in Brazil for many years. The recent demonstrations have shown us that the people have the power to change this country. It’s just a question of wanting to.”
On whether Brazil is ready on and off the pitch...“I think the Brazil team is ready. We’re organised and know exactly what we have to do. We are ready to deliver the greatest World Cup of all time. There are still a few months to go before the competition starts and we have a lot of work to do to get everything in the best possible shape. I can tell you, though, that Brazil will be putting on a show on and off the pitch.”
On early kick-off times...
"
FIFA has a big committee of doctors, fitness trainers and coaches who’ve made their views known on the subject. The World Cup has been played in hot weather before. Just look at the USA. I was there and we played at the same time (13:00).”
On his FIFA World Cup scoring record of 15 goals and the prospect of Miroslav Klose equalling or bettering it...Well, obviously I’m hoping he doesn’t get there (laughs). Joking aside, I know very well that records are always there to be beaten. I beat someone else’s record and one day someone is going to beat mine. It’s going to happen one day, though it won’t take anything away from all the goals I scored in the World Cup or from my career. They’re something I’m very proud of.
On the progress Neymar is making...Neymar was only young when he left here for Europe, but it goes without saying that he’s going to learn a lot there. You’re playing with the very best in the world in Europe and you’re always learning. You have to stand out among the best and you’re always looking to improve. I’m convinced he’s going to become the greatest player in the world and competing in Europe will go a long way to helping him achieve that. I really like the way he’s going about things at Barcelona. He’s playing well, he’s tactically aware and he’s really involved, which all means he’s going to be bringing even more to the Brazil team.

Ronaldo: Brazil 2014 will be best World Cup

Saturday 9 November 2013
Share
Ronaldo: Brazil 2014 will be best World Cup
© FIFA.com
France play Ukraine on 15 November in the first leg of the play-off battle to become one of the 32 teams that will travel to Brazil next year. On a visit to the Brazilian Embassy in Paris on Thursday 7 November, Ronaldo, a member of the Local Organising Committee (LOC), joked about how France are Brazil’s “bogey team” and declared that next year’s tournament will be the greatest FIFA World Cup™ of all time.
Also present at the meeting were Brazilian Minister of Sport Aldo Rebelo, French Minister of Sport Valerie Fourneyron, French Minister of Foreign Trade Nicole Bricq, and the Brazilian Ambassador to France, Jose Mauricio Bustani.
FIFA.com brings you the key statements from the event below.
Local Organising Committee (LOC) member Ronaldo"It’s a pleasure to return to Paris. We have a really good relationship with France, although maybe not in terms of football, after the last few defeats we’ve suffered (laughs). My connection with Paris goes way back. I won a trophy here with Inter Milan, and had surgery on both my knees in the city.
Now I’m involved in an even bigger challenge as a member of the LOC. I played in four World Cups, but I had no idea how complicated it was to organise such an event. We’ve already achieved many of our goals, and the Confederations Cup was a big success. But we have to keep going. There is so much more to do.
I’m sure that the FIFA World Cup in Brazil will be the best ever. So buy your tickets now, and come and watch the World Cup at the home of football! I’m going to cheer for France against Ukraine, so that we can overcome the jinx and beat the French next year in Brazil (laughs)."
I’m sure that the FIFA World Cup in Brazil will be the best ever.
Ronaldo, Brazil legend and LOC member
Brazilian Minister of Sport Aldo Rebelo"The World Cup will have 12 host cities. Brazil is a country the size of a continent and so we will have games from Amazonas to Porto Alegre. Six of the 12 stadiums are already up and running, and the other six will be finished by the end of December.
Expectations are high because we’ve played in every World Cup and won five out of the 19 tournaments. And we have the highest goal scorer in World Cup history, though we mustn’t forget that the top scorer in one of the competitions, Just Fontaine, was French."
French Minister of Sport Valerie Fourneyron"It’s impossible to forget the 1998 FIFA World Cup. It was a moment that brought the whole country together, and all football fans remember it so clearly. We felt such pride, and the sense of togetherness that you sometimes get at sporting events really made a difference to people’s lives.
It was a moment of true social and economic dynamism. This is what we are hoping for in Brazil, that the whole country can share this wonderful experience together. And of course I hope France qualify so that we can see each other again in Brazil."

Ronaldo: My history & goals can't be erased

Monday 21 October 2013
Share
Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima hardly requires an introduction. Better known as 'O Fenómeno' (the phenomenon), or simply Ronaldo, he is one of the greatest strikers the world has ever seen. The FIFA World Cup’s all-time leading scorer with 15 goals, the former Cruzeiro, PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Corinthians player is celebrating a special anniversary this year. Two decades ago, on 25 May 1993, he took the first step of his storied, tremendously successful career.
A far cry from the 16 year-old kid who found himself playing among the experienced professionals of Cruzeiro against Caldense in the Minas Gerais state championship in 1993, Ronaldo took time out of a recent trip to Zurich to recall his beginnings in an interview with FIFA.com. He talked about the nerves he felt that day, how he felt when he got his first wage packet, his experiences of playing for a number of fierce rivals, and the World Cup party coming to Brazil in 2014.
FIFA.com: Ronaldo, this year marks the 20th anniversary of your debut as a professional. What can you remember about that day?
Ronaldo: It was a long time ago! I remember everything about my career like it was yesterday, right from the beginning. I remember how it felt to come through the ranks and turn professional at Cruzeiro. I’d always dreamed about being a footballer and it was such an exciting feeling when I realised it was happening. It was magical. My legs, arms and even my hands were shaking. But once the game started I managed to calm down.
How did you feel when the coach told you were in the team?
I felt so nervous and my heart was racing. But at the same time I felt optimistic. It was all I’d ever wanted: to play. I had butterflies because of the nerves and the pressure, but at the same time it was what I’d been working towards all my life. So I managed to get the nerves under control. Players usually feel nervous before a game, but it passes. You forget everything once you are in the game.
Who did you tell first?
In those days there were no mobile phones. I remember that most of my friends in Bento Ribeiro (a neighbourhood of Rio de Janeiro) didn’t even have phones in their houses. I told my family and managed to get the news to a couple of friends. Everybody was thrilled. The game wasn’t on TV, so my dad went to another part of town, up on a hill. He had an old high frequency radio, and he tuned it to a station from Belo Horizonte, which is about 450 kilometres from Rio de Janeiro. He listened to the game live, and we won. It was really exciting.
If he scores more than me, I’ll congratulate him, and of course I admire him. But he’ll never take away my goals or my history.
Ronaldo on what he will do if Germany's Miroslav Klose breaks his record of 15 goals at the World Cup
Your life is very different now. Do you remember what you did with your first wage packet?
I remember. I gave it all to my mother because back in Bento Ribeiro my brothers and my parents had beds, but I slept on the sofa. My mum had the sofa reupholstered as a thank you present, so I would have a better place to sleep.
Looking back, would you have done anything differently?
No. Thanks to the discipline I had, the sacrifices I made and my dedication to football, everything has worked out the way I wanted. In fact, it’s been even better than I could have imagined. I never thought I’d go so far. I’d always dreamed about being a footballer. So my sporting life was perfect.
Perfect, but not easy. You had to move to Holland when you were very young. How was that experience, considering how far from home you were, and how difficult it must have been to stay in touch with your family?It was hard. I was only 17. Holland is very different from Brazil. Once, the temperature hit 30 degrees below zero! No fun for a carioca! I really suffered because of the cold. Everything froze during training; my feet, my legs, my hands, my neck, and my ears. I’d never imagined living in such a cold place. The food was a problem too. I didn’t speak Dutch, so it was difficult to choose things from the menu. It was tough to learn the language. It took me two years! And now I’ve forgotten most of it, as I haven’t spoken it in so long. But I enjoyed myself on the pitch. So the sacrifice was worth it.
Which strikers did you admire in those days?
Zico has always been my idol. As for strikers, well in those days it was (Marco) van Basten. One of the greatest centre forwards.
Was there one situation in particular that changed your career for the better? Just one...
It’s hard to pick out just one situation. I’d say that all the decisions I made were the right ones, and I made them at the right time. Choosing Cruzeiro, PSV, Barcelona, Inter, and the other clubs I played for. That was the most important thing.
Was there a specific team you would have liked to have played for?
Not one team in particular. I definitely would have liked to try my hand at English football, but it wasn’t to be.
I gave it all to my mother because back in Bento Ribeiro my brothers and my parents had beds, but I slept on the sofa. My mum had the sofa reupholstered as a thank you present.
Ronaldo on what he did with his first pay cheque

You were a huge star at Barcelona, but you also played for Real Madrid. And you also had spells at both Inter and AC Milan. Millions of fans love you, but maybe there were some who weren’t quite so keen...
As a great Brazilian writer (Nelson Rodrigues) once said, any unanimity is stupid. I don’t worry about not pleasing a few people. As long as I made most of them happy... (laughs)
A year after your first game as a professional you won the FIFA World Cup in the USA without even stepping foot on the pitch. What was it like spending time with players like Romario, Dunga and Bebeto?
Spending time with Romario, Bebeto, Dunga, Rai, Leonardo, players I’d seen on TV and that I admired so much, was amazing, like going back to school! All of a sudden I was there with them, playing and learning. I remember training, and watching how Romario and Bebeto moved. It was a great learning process.
Brazil 2014 is getting closer. How do you think the national team is shaping up? The Confederations Cup isn’t the same as the World Cup, after all...
It’s not the same, but the team showed its potential at the Confederations Cup. With time to train, Brazil improved a great deal. It really gave Brazilians hope that we might win the World Cup at home. We’ve got a great chance.
Who are the favourites for the World Cup?
Spain and Germany are candidates, but Brazil have shown how strong they are, and we’ll be playing at home. I’d say that the favourites are Brazil, Germany and Spain, in that order.
Did you know that Miroslav Klose is just one goal away from equalling your record as the World Cup’s top goal scorer?
Yes, lots of people have mentioned it. I believe that records are there to be broken. It doesn’t worry me. Someone is bound to break the record one day. I made my name scoring lots of goals, and that will never be forgotten. My personal history and my 15 World Cup goals will never be erased. If he scores more than me, I’ll congratulate him, and of course I admire him. But he’ll never take away my goals or my history.
If that happens, it would be a revenge for the Germans, after you broke Gerd Muller’s record in Germany...
Maybe. The record could go back to Germany. But it’s a record that brings personal satisfaction, not victory for the team. It helps the team too, of course, but it’s more important to win things together.
Lastly, thinking about everything that’s happened over the last 20 years, what advice would you give to the Ronaldo of 1993?
I’d tell him to be patient, ambitious, and disciplined. I haven’t changed that much as a person over the years. I’d do everything exactly the same way.

No comments: