Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2015

WTA TENNIS 2015: Garbiñe Muguruza Rises To World No.3

Garbiñe Muguruza Rises To World No.3

The leading WTA Rising Star has hit a new high on the WTA Rankings, rising to No.3. Who are the 10 other players with career-highs of No.3? Test your memory here.
Published October 26, 2015 12:13






SINGAPORE - After a season that has seen her reach her first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon, win the biggest title of her career in Beijing and qualify for her first WTA Finals, Garbiñe Muguruza has hit a brand new career-high on the WTA Rankings this week, passing Maria Sharapova for World No.3.
"Well, it for sure has been an incredible rise," Muguruza said during her All Access Hour interviews in Singapore. "I think you always have to have it in your mind that you can make good tournaments and achieve great things, otherwise it's not going to happen. You always have to have it in your mind what you want to do, and always have important objectives, so that you can be motivated to achieve them.
"I think I earned my place here in Singapore. I kind of deserve to be playing here. I don't see myself as a favorite, but I've played very well this month, and hopefully I can continue to play well here."
The 1993-born Spaniard is the first player born after 1991 to make Top 3 - how high can she go?
"Well, I'm getting closer and closer," Muguruza said. "I think I have the possibility to be there if I work hard. I still have to do a lot of things, work, improve - but I think I'm in the right way to make it."
Though she can obviously keep climbing, for now Muguruza is No.3, and she joins an impressive list of 10 other WTA players who have had a career-high No.3. Here are those 10 other World No.3s:
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Getty Images
Share this page!

Related news

  • Muguruza Makes Winning Start

    October 26, 2015
    WTA Rising Star Garbiñe Muguruza made a bright start to her challenge for the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global with a straight set win over Lucie Safarova on Monday.
  • Daily Insider: Who Is The Next Li Na?

    October 26, 2015
    WTA Insider Courtney Nguyen | The former Chinese No.1 is on the grounds in Singapore, plus a few primers on WTA Rising Stars Invitational champ Naomi Osaka.
  • 10 Things To Know: Monday In Singapore

    October 25, 2015
    What three things do Garbiñe Muguruza and Lucie Safarova have in common? How have Petra Kvitova and Angelique Kerber done against fellow lefties this year? Read on.

No comments: