Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

BRAZIL 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP: Striker Fernando Torres: "I never thought my Spain career was over"

 


Fernando Torres insists he never believed his international career was over after being called up for the Spain squad for Friday's friendly with Bolivia.

The Chelsea striker managed 11 goals in all competitions in the 2013-14 campaign, but was largely restricted to a back-up role to Samuel Eto'o under boss Jose Mourinho.

Despite his domestic struggles, Torres was handed a place in Spain's set-up for the team's World Cup warm up by Vicente del Bosque, who has opted to rest a number of regular stars who were involved in last weekend's Champions League final, including strikers Diego Costa and David Villa.

Torres maintains he has the same desire as ever to compete on the international stage as he looks to secure a spot in the 23-man World Cup squad, due to be announced on Sunday.

"I've never thought that I had played my last game. I am excited to come to the national team. I've been very happy here and I feel in good shape for the World Cup," he told a press conference on Tuesday.

"You always have doubts when you're away for a time. The other day, when the coach gave the list I was very excited waiting for my name. My dream is the same as when I made my debut. I was prepared to come or not to come, after a very strange year, in which I played little. But fortunately I am here and I will fight to be in the latest list."

Costa's place is in doubt due to a persistent hamstring problem but Torres is confident the player himself will be able to make the call on whether he will be fit enough for the tournament.

"The player is the one who has to decide if he is in optimal condition for the World Cup," said the 30-year-old. "If the coach has called him up it is because he can give his best, there is no question from the medical services."

Torres also admits he is looking forward to facing Netherlands in World Cup group play after beating the Oranje in the final in 2010, but warns that Spain must not allow itself to slip up in its opening game as the team did against Switzerland four years ago.

"We like to play against them [Netherlands]. Netherlands and Chile are very complicated, Australia are also dangerous because they can be a surprise," he said. "Netherlands are a great team, they will be looking forward to revenge and we don't want to make the mistakes of the previous World Cup against Switzerland.

"In my case it would be my third World Cup. In Germany [in 2006] we learned a lot and we used it in South Africa. We have to enjoy it, and the results will come."

Barcelona youngster Gerard Deulofeu also earned a surprise spot for the Bolivia clash after impressing during a loan spell with Everton, but the 20-year-old says he is not allowing himself to be distracted with thoughts of making the World Cup party.

"I ended my season with Everton and I was on holiday. I received a call from Andoni [Zubizarreta] and he told me that I could come and I quickly began to train," he said. "It has been great, I am very happy to be here with these players.

"I'm not thinking about Brazil, I have to enjoy this week and I want to learn from them and what has to happen will happen. [Jesus] Navas is injured but I don't want to think about Brazil. I repeat to myself that I want to learn. [England] has been a great experience [for me] as a person and as a player."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup

Year
Champion
Golden Boot
Golden Ball
2010
Spain
Thomas Müller (5)
Diego Forlán
2006
Italy
Miroslav Klose (5)
Zinedine Zidane
2002
Brazil
Ronaldo (8)
Oliver Kahn
1998
France
Davor Šuker (6)
Ronaldo
1994
Brazil
O. Salenko,H. Stoichkov (6)
Romário
1990
West Germany
Salvatore Schillaci (6)
Salvatore Schillaci
1986
Argentina
Gary Lineker (6)
Diego Maradona
1982
Italy
Paolo Rossi (6)
Paolo Rossi
1978
Argentina
Mario Kempes (6)
Mario Kempes
1974
West Germany
Grzegorz Lato (7)
Johan Cruijff
1970
Brazil
Gerd Müller (10)
Pelé
1966
England
Eusébio (9)
Bobby Charlton
1962
Brazil
Vavá,Garrincha,Ivanov,Albert,Je…
Garrincha
1958
Brazil
Just Fontaine (13)
Didi
1954
West Germany
Sándor Kocsis (11)
Ferenc Puskás
1950
Uruguay
Ademir
Zizinho
1938
Italy
Leônidas (7)
Leônidas
1934
Italy
Oldřich Nejedlý (5)
Giuseppe Meazza
1930
Uruguay
Guillermo Stábile (8)
José Nasazzi

No comments: