Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

US OPEN 2011: Revived World No. 1 Caroline Woznaicki a threat again





Revived World No. 1 Caroline Woznaicki a threat again


Thursday, September 1, 2011

An in-form Caroline Wozniacki has loosened up to the point where she is now publicly discussing her romantic relationship with pro golfer Rory McIIroy.

It's easier to sit casually back and discuss one’s personal life when you’re playing well, and No. 1 Wozniacki played a clean and forceful match in her 6-2, 6-0 wipeout of fellow 20-year-old Arantxa Rus in the second round.

Wozniacki did not belt numerous winners, but she forced a ton of them and put up a wall behind the baseline. She knew that if she kept her balls deep and could change direction that her foe would err more times than not, and she was spot on in her analysis.

“It was a good match today,” said Wozniacki, who will face American Vania King in the next round. “I'm happy that it turned out the way it did. I felt like I was playing good. I really enjoy playing out there on Arthur Ashe night sessions. It's a great feeling.”

After her quick win over Michaella Krajicek, Serena Williams mentioned that she and Venus had given relationship advice to Wozniacki in the locker room. Over the past two years, Serena has made pals of younger players such as Wozniacki and Victoria Azarenka. She herself has dated other celebrities including the American rapper Common. Serena said that she gave Wozniacki bad advice, which was to never look through your boyfriends’ cell phone and that relationships end.

“We were all in the locker room,” Wozniacki said. “I was going to get some treatment. She was sitting there with Venus and talking. And then it just came out that we were talking a bit and we had a laugh…. I think I should not listen to her or Venus. She was not better.”

Wozniacki and McIlroy have talked about the fact that one of the things that makes their relationship work is because they are both athletes around the same age who understand what the other one is going through. She does not think that they will distract each other.

“I think we have our limits and we know where they are,” she said. “So as long as we both keep the feet on the ground and we both have our careers, which are important to us, I think it's working well.”

Wozniacki is hoping that her plans for a resurgence will go well too. Since winning Indian Wells in March, she suffered a series of stinging defeats at big events and lost early both at Roland Garros and Wimbledon. When she returned to play on North American hard courts in early August, she lost both her opening matches. Somehow, she managed to right her ship in New Haven and won her fourth straight title there. She did not defeat a Grand Slam level field there, but did take out former French Open champion Francesca Schiavone and the red hot Czech Petra Cetkovska, two critical wins for her confidence.

“I won New Haven. Now I won two matches here,” she said. “I feel like I'm on a roll and I'm playing well…. I believe I can beat anyone on a good day. But I have to play on a high level for seven matches, and that's not easy.”







No comments: